Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Broccoli Broccoli Broccoli


Above is one of the purple sprouting broccoli plants, besieged by green caterpillars and aphids. Still he fights on and one day he, and his other four mates in different pots, will hopefully produce some form of purple edible goodness.


Another broccoli plant in my garden is the one pictured above. He fell victim to a trellising accident, and to an idea that 'I care more about snow peas than I do you, Mr Broccoli'!!! Talk about neglected. Well despite the odds this guy is producing a head. It is very, very, very small and the leaves are dying and spotting which makes it difficult but it is great to see that despite ineptness on my behalf nature lives on!

6 comments:

Andrew Pinnell said...

Love your blog and have a look at www.babingtonhousecc.co.uk - we want as many followers as possible so please join up.

Thanks

Andrew

Chandramouli S said...

Hope your broccoli is rid of those pesky aphids soon. Yeeewww! I hate them soo much! They destroyed my squash creeper! Grrrr... Good luck!

Dan said...

Poor bondage broccoli, ha!

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Ugh. Not to be a total downer, but the caterpillars totally shredded my broccoli and I gave up on it. :-(

PJ said...

No Fern No, don't give up on it! Ok, so maybe give up on it but still, evil caterpillars!

Dan - heheh bondage broccoli! How is the early tomato going?

Chandramouli, still aphids, but i kill them every day.

vuejardin said...

You really save lots of space by vertical gardening, let the plant grows up instead of sideway.