Monday, May 4, 2009

Overzealous with the Lettuce

I love growing edible things. Tomatoes first and foremost, then snow peas, carrots, herbs, beetroot, and all sort of other delicious treats. A few weeks ago I posted on my lettuce pot. It was brimming full of green leafy goodness and boy did we taste test it.


In fact we kind of over tasted, and the full green/red pot soon turned into something akin to a warzone! The poor lettuce was over picked and ended up looking like this.


The solution? Go easy on the lettuce? Never. Therefore the decision was to plant 3 more pots of the stuff! I am not that good at waiting so I left the seeds alone this time (I do have some lettuce growing from seed in one pot but it is taking ages) and purchased a few seedlings.

I then potted them up. One in the hanging basket that used to hold beetroot and welsh sprouting onions. One in its own giant pot (which I didn't seem to take a photo of), and one in with some broccoli and snowpeas.

I still think we might need more, even with totally awesome housemate moving out (we will miss you, but well done on the job back in A-town). But where to put them ...

7 comments:

vuejardin said...

So yummy mixed salads. When I run out of space, I try vertical gardening, or stack it up on the shelves.

http://vuejardin.blogspot.com/search/label/Vertical%20Gardening

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lettuces. I was thinking maybe Peter Rabbit had ransacked Mr. McGregor's lettuce patch. :) I'm impatient too and seedlings are the way to go. Do you grow arugula?

SuburbanGardener said...

That lettuce looks great!! I have been eating salad from spinach, romaine, leaf lettuce, and kale. We have them every single day from the garden and sometimes they look pretty thinned out. But so far, they keep growing back. Good luck, it looks yummy.

Dan said...

ooh, they look good. Can't wait to watch your fall patio grow. I just picked a big bowl of lettuce before logging on, it is soaking right now!

Sandy said...

I envy you could grow beautiful lettuces and tomatoes in your balcony (mine is too shady to grow any). Salads that are made with our own grown veggies always taste the best :)

PJ said...

Vue Jardin - Funny you should suggest that as I've been looking at Vertical options! Depends on my handy woman abilities!

Grace - I've heard of Arugula but I don't think i've grown it knowingly. Its a leafy veg right? Tasty, bitter or sweet?

Suburban Gardener - thanks, i love spinach in a salad too! Haven't ever grown Kale though, is it good?

Dan - I've never had a balcony garden in Autumn, will be interesting. I'm just jealous of your tomatoes!

Sandy - can you grow anything in the shady bit? Or inside? Egyptian style mirror contraptions for balcony sunlight??? :) You're definitely right about salads from your own veggies.

Sandy said...

"Egyptian style mirror contraptions" wahaha that's very creative of you :D umm... maybe there really is something I can do to make it happen huh :)