Thursday, October 21, 2010

Curly Leaf Nectarine and the Nine Blossoms

I'd almost given up on the nectarine tree this year. Last year it bloomed amazingly, produced 3 tasty nectarines then went into Winter hibernation. When I forgot to spray it for curly leaf I knew I was in for a spot of bother but when I witnessed a total of about 9 blossoms on it, I gave up entirely. How on earth could I get any fruit from a measly nine blossoms?



I put some mulch on it to help trap water, and added some fertiliser but of course it was going to be too little, too late. The blossoms were joined by leaves,



then faded away.



Following that the leaves got major, major, major issues of the curly variety.



This disease wont kill your tree instantly, just shorten its life overall if untreated. Miss J has had a nectatine tree that was infected and it fruited every second year without fail. Just might not fruit for as long as an infected tree. Others have been affected by it this year too and I have since learned it is endemic to Melbourne. Definitely will have to consider spraying it next year, trying to get that window before the buds open, to kill the curly and make the tree happy again. That and remember to repot the poor thing and feed it on a more regular basis. Poor nectarine tree, he really is a bit neglected

Mind you all, was not lost - I just realised there is a nectarine on the tree! One tiny, little speck of stone fruit hope for this summer.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Hope that fruit matures for summer! The flowers are quite nice either way. So how is spring going? It is cold and rainy here now, must be the opposite in your neck of the woods.

Tamara said...

Hi Prue. I too have given the nectarine one last year. My problem is a little different to yours though. While I watch out for curly leaf, I dont have to spray for it. Last year my nectarine (which is sposed to have 3 different grafts) didn't produce any fruit. My Peach tree also set a dozen peaches, but they all shrivled up when they were no more than the size of 10c. They are both recieving extra love this year. Fertalizer, seasol, mulching, constant watering..... So far I can say they're responding. But I'm fearful any minute they'll drop the fruit. Mine are in the ground and Im in a sub tropical climate - so you're in the better zone for the fruit... Let's watch each others grow and may Christmas bring us both the blessing for yummy home grown fruit.