Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hanging Snow Peas


 Yep that's a hanging pot, and yup that's some snow peas. HUH????!!!?? Downwards headed snow peas? Snow peas are meant to climb up a trellis, or pole, or whatever you put in the ground to help support their upward sprawl. But not downwards. I usually make a trellis out of poles and old stockings which works a treat to help them climb. However, this year I tried something new, and much to my surprise it really worked well.

You see a few months ago I realised one of the hanging baskets was empty, and I wasn't sure what to put in it. In summer it holbs tumbler tomatoes and in the past it has been ardorned with flowers or other such things in the winter months. Last year I  just took it down and left a blank space. This year I wanted to experiment, so I threw in some leftover dwarf snow pea seeds. I expected they'd not like the small space, may trellis themselves up the hanging bits, or might just self combust in an act of blatant mutiny. At least they sprouted, so phase one clearly worked.


However, I gave them a slim to none chance of forming a downward habit and draping over the side. Thus heading north, or carking it. But, after a slow start, they did plunge southwards, pulling themselves up and over the edge and heading downward.


I thought gravity might cause the stems to break but no, they were sturdy and bore a lot of snow peas!

 
I'll definitely try this again next Winter. I have quite a few hanging pots in the garden so I'd like to see if they work equally well. I guess sometimes experiments do pay off. Have you ever gone against the rules in your gardening and succeeded?

6 comments:

Mel said...

What a great experiment! I saw strawberries being grown in Tassie in upside down old softdrink bottles! Amazing.

agreenearth said...

What great hanging vegetables.

I have a $150 Bunnings Giveaway on my blog A Green Earth and I welcome you and your readers to enter.

PJ said...

Missy Piggy - That sounds like a super idea! I use soft drink bottles here to protect little seedlings, but maybe I'll try the tassie option.

Greenearth - I'm sure my few Aussie readers will.

GardenLog said...

That turned out to be such an awesome idea! I love it! I am going to try it too. Would love some snow peas as a hanging basket in the patio!

Megan said...

What a great idea! I'm heading into the container/balcony gardening unknown. Great to know that this is an option! I love the snow pea flowers too!

Unknown said...

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for being a downward growing Snow Pea trail blazer.
Regards Mark