Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Where did Mr Currant Go?

There was a blank space for a nanosecond on the balcony garden. Blink and you missed it. It is now filled with newly emerging corn shoots and some beans. But what was there before? It had been there several years, prosperous at first then slowly dwindling away, disliking its potbound abode.

It was Mr Currant, and overwinter he looks like this:


In spring he began to grow back, with little leaves visible in the blurry picture below.


But by then it was too late,  I'd made up my mind that he was a goner. There just wasn't room for him in this little balcony and he needed to be a free range currant, to roam free in the larger expanse of a real garden. Or the bin.

But I couldn't bin him. We'd been through years together, through many delicious small harvests around Christmas time. He knows I always wanted a white currant and he is ok with that. So what happened to Mr Currant you ask ...

He now lives with my dear friends and their 2 year old son in Bacchus Marsh. He seems to have survived the transplant so hopefully he gives them some years of harvesty enjoyment. Bye bye Mr Currant.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I find it SO hard to uproot something - even if it's dead. I also plant too many seeds in each pot and then feel like a murderer when I have to cull to make some room in their.

Daphne Gould said...

At least you got someone to take him so you wouldn't have to toss him. I hate tossing plants, but have to do it at times.